The UBC Okanagan CAP 2030 planning process has supported and builds on emissions reductions plans and initiatives already underway as well as recommendations from the climate emergency engagement process and is leveraging expertise across UBC through topic-based working groups and technical committees.
The UBC Okanagan CAP 2030 planning process builds on emissions reductions plans and initiatives already underway, including:
- Strategic Energy Management Plan – A corporate focused plan to advance energy and carbon reductions across existing buildings
- Low Carbon Energy Strategy – A campus wide strategy is underway to advance decarbonization of energy supply
- UBC Okanagan Transportation Plan – A high-level roadmap for meeting the transportation needs of the UBC Okanagan community through 2040 and supports key objectives, including reductions in faculty, staff, student commuting emissions.
- UBC Okanagan CAP Food Strategy Group – A campus-wide working group to advance climate friendly food options.
When the CAP 2030 planning process was kicked off in May 2020, a series of topic-based working groups and technical committees were established to focus on the following areas:
- Energy supply & buildings
- Financial tools
- Business air travel
- Communications & engagement
- Embodied carbon
- Fleet and equipment
- Waste, materials & paper
The working groups have been responsible for developing options that will accelerate UBC’s emissions reductions, considering on-going emissions reductions plans underway (see above) and informed by the work of the Climate Emergency Task Force. Specific efforts were made to identify working group recommendations such as business air travel that could apply to the Vancouver and Okanagan contexts. Other areas of activity involve UBCO staff and faculty to develop Okanagan specific CAP recommendations.
The planning process also included public engagement that provided staff, students and faculty an opportunity to learn about the emerging UBCO CAP 2030, ask questions, and share perspectives. More information