OKANAGAN CAMPUS SUSTAINABILITY AWARDS & RECOGNITION
The Okanagan campus has received many sustainability awards for sustainable development and construction practices.
- CleanBC Better Buildings, Net-Zero Energy-Ready Challenge winners of the Construction Incentive for Skeena Residence, UBC’s first Passivhaus development.
- LEED Gold Certification for Engineering, Management and Education Building.
- LEED Gold Certification for Reichwald Health Sciences Centre.
- Thompson Okanagan Commercial Building Awards for Purcell Student Residence and the campus Geo-Exchange District Energy System
- The first campus in the world to achieve Five Green Globes distinction for the Arts and Sciences Centre and the Charles E. Fipke Centre for Innovative Research.
- FortisBC Conservation Excellence Awards for Arts and Sciences Centre, Engineering Management & Education, Reichwald Health Sciences Centre, Geo-Exchange District Energy System and Gym Lighting Retrofit Project.
- REAP Gold Level Certification for Purcell Student Residence.
- Featured profile in the Southern Interior Construction Association (SICA) Construction Review, the official publication of SICA
- FortisBC PowerSense Award for energy efficiency measures in design and construction for the Purcell Student Residence.
- 2010 Mayor’s Environmental Achievement Award – Most Sustainable Development, City of Kelowna. The Mayor’s Environmental Achievement Awards recognize individuals and groups who have made outstanding or innovative contributions to the protection or management of the environment.
- Five Green Globes awarded to Arts and Sciences Centre.
- Canadian Construction Association’s Gold Seal Project Award of Recognition for Engineering Management & Education.
- FortisBC PowerSense Conservation Excellence Award for University Centre with a total estimated savings of 1,125,000 kWh per year.
- FortisBC PowerSense Conservation Excellence Award for Cascade Student Residence and Charles E. Fipke Centre for Innovative Research.
- Socially Sustainable Workplace: UBC Okanagan earned a WorklifeBC from the Ministry of Children and Family Development for its work creating a flexible workplace that supports employees to balance work and life commitments. UBC Okanagan received an Award of Merit for the B.C. Interior, in the category of Large Workplace (more than 250 employees).
- Five Green Globes awarded to Charles E. Fipke Centre for Innovative Research from the Building Owners and Managers Association of Canada, an award reserved for designs serving as national or world leaders in energy and environmental performance.